Saturday, March 20, 2010

She's emerging . . . . but only just a little.

My "little" girl is venturing out.  My soccer & Jiu Jitsu athlete, who thinks that wearing her brothers t-shirts, jeans, and sketchers are enough.  No makeup, no hair done, slap on a hoodie, and we're good for the day.  Quite an accomplishment in its own right, considering pajamas would be the wardrobe of choice.

Along comes the stake dance.  Oh, it is a "church dress" one.  "Do I have to wear a dress?  This is so lame.  No one is going to dance."  Over comes her best friend -- who, by the way, is as girlie as Shania is a tomboy.  Polar opposites, but uncannily so close in appearance they are confused as sisters.

Giggling, talking, walking back and forth from the bathroom to bedroom  . . . . this continues for an hour.  "Mom, will you show me how to put on coverup?"  "What do you think of this outfit?"  "How about this one?"

Five outfits later (I thought this only happened in the movies), makeup on, final mirror check, dance card in hand, my beauty heads out to the car.  Now, the saving grace in all of this -- as I was trying to figure out how to put a perimeter fence around her without having her wear a tacky dog collar --  the primping and pampering stopped at the eyes.  The hair didn't quite make it.  Sigh!!!  That was a good "sigh".  I still have my "little" girl.

Give me soccer shorts, Jiu Jitsue Gi, baggy pants, and hoodies . . . .  I'll take whatever I can get.  Just stay away boys . . . she can't date until she's 21.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

I am thinking.....that the boys won't see or care about the hair because they will be so captivated by the eyes....... I'm just sayin.......

Better be saying your prayers momma!