Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Remember, keep it simple!!

Do you ever hear the phrases, "You are making things too complicated. Keep it simple."?? How many times have we fretted over a problem or situation only to have a simple solution presented by a third party? Last night was such an occasion.

I love math. It is straight forward, black and white, there is always a solution, and numbers do not lie -- until I went to BYU and learned about imaginary numbers and my world fell apart. But I digress.

Shania was working on finding functions for plotted points on a graph. The short of it is, if you have a number in the y-axis and a number in the x-axis, by finding the function you can find any number on either axis. Sounds simple, right? Actually, it is and I usually have a good time at it.

So, here we were with a bunch of numbers for "y" and a bunch of numbers for "x". Shania and I worked those numbers in so many different ways we were going crazy. After we tried multiplying, dividing, using fractions, exponents, and trying everything again, I finally told her we needed to call her teacher because we were definitely missing something and I was sure it was something simple.

Well, the telephone call was made and as it turns out, it was a simple subtraction problem. It was so simple. I can't wait to see her teacher today and have a good laugh over that one.

Simplicity -- life is simple, the gospel of Jesus Christ is simple, the simplest and easiest route is usually the quickest, problems broken down into simpler situations are easier -- simplicity.

Okay, so now I have to get my butt off this chair, go take a shower, finish getting dinner ready for this evening, finish my telephone calls for church, exercise, finish the laundry, go through my "to-do" list for today which I'm sure includes cleaning of house, get kids' uniforms and everything ready for soccer tonight, pick up kids, have piano lessons, do homework and reading with kids, and . . . . Did I forget anything? Simple!!!!

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Yes, you forgot to sit back, take a deep breath, and focus on the simplicity of how beautiful your children are. :o)

I had a nieghbor call me yesterday and ask me if I'd thought about e-baying my children. "Why", I asked? "Look out your window". There they were (the younger three) sitting on top of the garbage cans that were parked at the curb waiting for the garbage truck to come along.........

momforhealthyhomes said...

What joys of motherhood! AM looking forward to the little JJ and Brittany's!