Saturday, July 26, 2008

The results are in!!!

Okay, the amazing results are in. Drum roll please . . . . . . I finished!!!! Well, that wasn't too exciting, but considering the fact that I haven't been exercising more than a couple of times in the past month, I feel pretty darn good about my results.

Now for you real triathaloners the Lite is really just a sneeze. But for us beginners, it was a real eye opener. My first realization came when I learned that the place at which I exercise lied to me about the length of their pool. They told me it was 25 m. When I got to the place this morning I thought the pool I would be swimming in must be 50 m because it was sooo big. I calculated we would be doing 5 laps, no biggy. Only to be told that it was really 25 m and we would be swimming 9 laps -- I about hyperventilated on the spot. I told myself it couldn't be that bad. I swim for an hour at a time. We had to be done in 10 minutes, can't be that hard.

Realization #2 -- I had never shared a lane with another person before.

Realization #3 -- Where here I thought I was a good swimmer, I got lapped by my lane partner. Do you know what an energy drain it is to watch your lane partner get out of the pool and realize you still have another lap to go? I can swim, but apparently not very fast!!

Realization #4 -- Trying to put on spandex shorts after you swim is a not a good idea. I got my toes caught in one of the legs and about fell over trying to shove my foot through the fabric. Doesn't work!!! It just continues to stretch.

Realization #5 -- I put my shoes out by the bike and if you walk to your bike with wet feet in the dirt and stickers, putting your shoes on is a major problem.

Realization #6 -- There is a HUGE difference between a mountain bike and a road bike. I know, my eyes are still burning from the wind as those road bikers went flying past.

Realization #7 --The bike ride for me was definitely the easy part. Getting off the bike and trying to stand up and try running takes an incredible amount of coordination.

Realization #8 -- Whoever said the transition from riding the bike to running is difficult, LIED!!! It is dreadful and absolutely mind boggling. I felt like my legs were rubber and were numb for the first 100 yards.

Realization #9 -- There is an end to every race and the finish line stays in one place, even if it feels they had to have moved it.

Realization #10 -- I had a great time, loved it, and can't wait to do another one. Of course, now that I know what to expect and I can prepare better.


Honestly though, I really had a good time. I wanted to do this for fun and to finish. The first person across the finish line did it in 21 minutes. The time for the first female was 27 minutes. I crossed in 38.12 minutes. Not too bad. There were about 50 entries of which at least 40 were young enough to be my children. Of the ones in my age group (they didn't separate out) I think I finished right up there.

I'm proud of myself and look forward to another one. For those of you that are thinking of it, get out there. For those of you that are experienced and run the sprint or more, even if it is only one or two, my hat is off to you. I look forward to one day being among you.

3 comments:

Catherine said...

Congratulations! You are my hero! I love the blog. I told you I would leave the link to mine so here it is:
www.benandcatherinepark.blogspot.com

Rachel said...

You are SOOOOO awesome. I just wish I could have been there to cheer you on but it sounds like you didn't need me.....sniff.

You really are amazing you know....even if you have six toes on one foot and a hidden extra nostril that no one knows about. We'll just keep it our little secret.

Cindy Jacobson said...

Hey Virginia! I just discovered you have a blog - why didn't you tell me?? Congratulations on your triathalon. We should plan to do one together next summer (since you said you'd do another one :) ).